Record Keeping

Foster parents ensure that information for the child(ren) in their care is available. Record keeping also includes monthly reports that include allowance tracking, daily activity tracking, daily progress notes/observation, among other things to track.

When a child is placed with you, you should receive a file within 30 days which includes paperwork required by licensing, and forms for your record-keeping purposes. 

We try to keep paperwork from becoming the focus of our conversations, and if records are kept up to date, it requires very little time.  You should be keeping updated the following information:



  1. Child’s weight record:  weigh the child once a month and record the weight.  If the child is dieting or trying to gain weight, make a note of that information on the weight record.
  2. Health record:  record all doctor and dental appointments
  3. Centrally Stored Medication:  record all prescription medication.  If there is left over medication that needs to be destroyed, this must be done in the presence of the social worker.  The destruction needs to be recorded on the back of this form of the Centrally Stored Medication.
  4. Medication administration records completed whenever the child is given medications.
  5. Copy of the annual physical and dental examinations.  Your social worker also needs a copy

Additional records include:

  1. Parental visitation log:  Note the dates of all visits or phone calls, and any changes (both positive and negative) noted in behavior.
  2. Daily observations: Your monthly report includes a section with a daily log in which you should write down your observations or child’s activities. Write down as much as possible because a) this improves the care and support we are able to provide and, b) may be used to request an increase in your financial reimbursement.
  3. Be aware that the Level of Care used to determine the dollar amount for reimbursement may include careful observation of behaviors and other services you provide. The more accurate your notes are, the more likely it is that the agency social worker can advocate for an increase in your monthly reimbursement.

Was this article helpful?