Most children who are placed in foster care will eventually reunify with their families. The social worker will share information with you about the reunification plan and your role in helping to achieve this goal.
As a foster parent, you are expected to:
- Help maintain or support the development of the child-parent attachment.
- Model and discuss appropriate parenting techniques with the child's parents.
- Inform the parent about the child's growth and development, school progress, medical condition, likes and dislikes, etc.
- Cooperate with the visitation plan for the child and his family.
- Support the parent's efforts to be a parent, even if you do not agree with the parent's lifestyle or goals for the child.
- Prepare the child to return home.
- Never criticize or speak negatively about the child’s family.